Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fulbright Orientation

Yesterday I had a full day of orientation with the folks from the US Embassy here that coordinate
the Fulbright program in Chisinau. It was a great introduction to life and especially to teaching here. The European model of education is very different than the American model in terms of level students enter, typical pedagogy, and how each semester/term/course is conducted. Also, I learned a lot about the Moldovan students (and I'm eager to see if my experience is the same as was described at the orientation), who have a much more work together/come if I want to/pay a bribe for the grade I want attitude.

Above I'm pictured with Leon, the other US Fulbright Scholar in Chisinau this year. He is teaching at the American Studies Center at Moldova State University (while I'm teaching at the Academy of Economic Studies). He's a really nice guy.

In addition to learning about the educational system, we had the head of security for the diplomatic service talk to us about safety and security here. It is nice to know that with basic common sense we are in a safe city. I keep hearing the biggest dangers are traffic issues especially as it relates to watching out for drivers when walking on the sidewalks and crossing the streets. Drivers here regularly drive on the sidewalks, and they often create their own lanes on the roads. I've been in a cab where the driver has come to a red light and he then decided to pull out in the lane of oncoming traffic in order to get to "the front of the line" at the light. Amazing...

Life is interesting here in Chisinau...

No comments:

Post a Comment