Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Language Barrier

Since we've been in Chisinau I really enjoy getting to know the city, the people, the culture that is Moldova. One way to do this is shopping in the open-air markets. There is a large market in each section of the city, and you can by everything from meat and produce to shoelaces, to valves for plumbing your home. Today I went, despite the 12 degree temperature, but the more I shop the more I realize the language difference is really hindering me. Unlike Western Europe, many of the shopkeepers, cashiers, deli-counter-workers know absolutely no English. It's a little surprising to me since a high school graduate has to demonstrate some level of proficiency. Thus, my ability to buy and haggle is very limited.

Also, I've enjoyed (for the most part) riding the public transportation here which is very reliable. One method is called a maxi taxi which is a Mercedes bus that seats approximately 20 people (but can hold many more people packed in), and these mini buses operate like a taxi in that they will pick you up and drop you off wherever you want within a given route (and a ride is very cheap). But, yesterday I couldn't get off because I was not able to get the driver to work
with me as I spoke English. I had to wait until another person got off, much further from our home than I wanted to get off, and walk the rest of the way.

Needless to say, I'm working on learning basic Romanian. Everyone here either speaks or understands Romanian (while many also speak Russian), and I have tried to learn a little with a CD program, but next week I'm starting with a tutor. I need to become more effective in buying goods in the market(s), and I need to spend less time walking from the wrong taxi stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment